Cliff Keen Las Vegas

ugarles

Re: Cliff Keen Las Vegas

Post by ugarles »

Interesting from Grey's CKLV recap that he attributes Shapiro and Foca's losses to strategic failings rather than injury or other issue. I'll take his word for it.
157- Meyer finished 2-2 on the weekend with his highlight being a 16-4 major decision over #3 Bryce Andonian from Virginia Tech. Meyer needs to wrestle a bit more basic and move away from some of his freestyle tendencies. He has all the skill to dominate. We just need to help him organize his techniques a bit more. I'm not concerned in the slightest because I know the type of competitor Meyer is deep down. He was not happy with his performance and I look forward to his rebound in Nashville. ...

184- Chris did not have his best performance, going 1-2 on the weekend. I think there are a few factors but number one being his lack of offense. It's so important for him to live on the leg and get the first score. Doing so will allow him to exploit his opponent on top and take some steam out. Secondly, I think he needs to scramble less and find his way back to basic techniques. When Chris has been at his best he has had a 'basic first, then unique technique' mentality. At the end of the day, I believe in Chris and our staff to get back on track.
He also calls out Cardenas relying too much on the blast double against the elite guys who will be prepared to take that away (which was definitely the case with Hidlay; I haven't watched Sloan yet.)
klehner

Post by klehner »

ugarles wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 17:19 Interesting from Grey's CKLV recap that he attributes Shapiro and Foca's losses to strategic failings rather than injury or other issue. I'll take his word for it.
157- Meyer finished 2-2 on the weekend with his highlight being a 16-4 major decision over #3 Bryce Andonian from Virginia Tech. Meyer needs to wrestle a bit more basic and move away from some of his freestyle tendencies. He has all the skill to dominate. We just need to help him organize his techniques a bit more. I'm not concerned in the slightest because I know the type of competitor Meyer is deep down. He was not happy with his performance and I look forward to his rebound in Nashville. ...

184- Chris did not have his best performance, going 1-2 on the weekend. I think there are a few factors but number one being his lack of offense. It's so important for him to live on the leg and get the first score. Doing so will allow him to exploit his opponent on top and take some steam out. Secondly, I think he needs to scramble less and find his way back to basic techniques. When Chris has been at his best he has had a 'basic first, then unique technique' mentality. At the end of the day, I believe in Chris and our staff to get back on track.
He also calls out Cardenas relying too much on the blast double against the elite guys who will be prepared to take that away (which was definitely the case with Hidlay; I haven't watched Sloan yet.)
Yes, I noted the lack of any injury or other issues for those two. Interesting, although "who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes" comes to mind for Shapiro's last match...

Watching Cardenas this weekend, the same occurred to me: everyone who can sits on his double. Gotta diversify. When not tied up, Sloan's head was a good bit lower than Cardenas', and Sloan kept his left hand nearly on the mat.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

klehner wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 19:29 Watching Cardenas this weekend, the same occurred to me: everyone who can sits on his double. Gotta diversify. When not tied up, Sloan's head was a good bit lower than Cardenas', and Sloan kept his left hand nearly on the mat.
I said it before EIWA's last year and was pleasantly surprised by how varied his attacks on Beard were.
klehner

Post by klehner »

ugarles wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 21:28
klehner wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 19:29 Watching Cardenas this weekend, the same occurred to me: everyone who can sits on his double. Gotta diversify. When not tied up, Sloan's head was a good bit lower than Cardenas', and Sloan kept his left hand nearly on the mat.
I said it before EIWA's last year and was pleasantly surprised by how varied his attacks on Beard were.
Also remember that what worked against a gassed Beard might not work against another top opponent who is not gassed.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

klehner wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 22:59
Also remember that what worked against a gassed Beard might not work against another top opponent who is not gassed.
Sure, but he was mixing it up before that. It feels like he's gone back to the double because most opponents can't defend it but tbh I think he should use the weaker opponents as practice to diversify his arsenal for when he needs to abandon the double.
klehner

Post by klehner »

ugarles wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 11:48
klehner wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 22:59

Sure, but he was mixing it up before that. It feels like he's gone back to the double because most opponents can't defend it but tbh I think he should use the weaker opponents as practice to diversify his arsenal for when he needs to abandon the double.
Honestly not trying to argue here! Just re-watched the EIWA final match:

1st period: no attempted shots by Cardenas
2nd period: double leg attempt, only got one leg, switched to single for the TD; close in double for the second TD
3rd period: (Beard already showing fatigue) Early low single, no TD; low single for the TD after Beard called for stalling; point for stalling awarded; blast double for the winning TD

Five attempts, four TDs: three double attempts and two single leg attempts (both in 3rd period).
Softmats

Post by Softmats »

Question. How does one obtain Grey’s reports without waiting for someone to post it here? Thanks in advance.
klehner

Post by klehner »

Softmats wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 14:43 Question. How does one obtain Grey’s reports without waiting for someone to post it here? Thanks in advance.
Send email to mjg263@cornell.edu and ask to be put on his email list.
charliemunger

Post by charliemunger »

I asked but he told me to go get my shine box.
SlapTheMat

Post by SlapTheMat »

Not sure how to even try abd understand the Foca and Shapiro situation.

Shapiro looks the same any match I have ever watched him in regardless of it being in a tournament or dual setting.
He is explosive and constantly attacking, never runs out of gas. He made Cardenas look like a jv wrestler at the open. He goes from that to barely being able to make it to the center of the mat. Then against Trombley. 2 injury timeouts in the first minute when he went really expressing anything other than looking nauseous, and confused. He took 4 injury timeouts in his two losses. he’s one of the best conditioned wrestlers I’ve seen. So why did he take the injury timeout? Why was he struggling to get back to the center of the Matt? Why did he look so confused all the time? Why do you score 16 points on Antonian and score one on Trombley? Why did Foca also look like someome not named Chris Foca. His first match he only wins 4-3 and in his loss with 45 seconds left he just refuses to cut the guy and just kind of takes the loss. Then majored by Colombia? Not on his worst day ever without something terribly wrong.

Cardenas did great. Blast double is a move that JB got done
miles out of and people knew it was coming. In no
way am I comparing Cardenas to JB but his double is awesome. It’s not like he is doing fireman’s carry’s and the opponents are just not giving him the tie or are easily able to defend it. idk maybe I am wrong on that but Foca and Shapiro…come on no way