Cliff Keen Las Vegas

klehner

Cliff Keen Las Vegas

Post by klehner »

(never too early, and it's less than three days away!)

First, no Vito.
“I know he will be ready when he needs to be,” Grey said. “He will be back for the Collegiate Duals (Dec. 18 in Nashville), that is his scheduled return for us. He will also wrestle in Lehigh’s Sheridan Invitational (Dec. 22).”
(I wonder if Lehigh will be wrestling in that tournament. Arujau vs. Crookham four or five times this year?)

Flo posted their preview/predictions for 149-174 (https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... 174-pounds). Here's their prediction for 157 (I kid you not):

1. Meyer Shapiro
2. Peyton Robb
3. Will Lewan
4. Bryce Andonian

Prediction for 165 (Ramirez will likely face Carr in the semis, assuming seeds hold):

1. David Carr
2. Cam Amine
3. Julian Ramirez
4. Izzak Olejnik

Also, Flo has a nice article on Cornell ("Foca-sing" on Foca): https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... oca-at-184
SlapTheMat

Re: Cliff Keen Las Vegas

Post by SlapTheMat »

Sorry man, I didn’t mean to post a CKLV topic on top of yours, I will delete the one I did. I started it out and half way through had to take care of the baby. Jumped back posted it and noticed yours. This tournament is going to be incredible, I cannot wait!
SlapTheMat

Post by SlapTheMat »

This was what I said in my post. It was in regards to the insane 157 weight class and Shapiro.

Was looking over seeds, and I get it …Shapiro is a true freshman, but let’s use some common sense here. He is seeded 14th out of 17. You have freshman Joey Blaze seeded 9th and freshman Cody Chittum seeded 11th. So it’s not as if they put freshman in as not having anything to go on and placed last. Daniel Cardenas is seeded 6th and we all saw at U20 trials the absolute beating Shapiro gave him. “ Sure you can say…it’s seeds who cares,” or “gotta beat the best to be the best.”. That’s great and all but if seeds hold place, assuming everyone shows up, makes weight, no injuries..this would the most likely path for Shapiro to win a title.
Preliminaries Bryce Ardonian
Quarters Cody Chittum
Semis Jacari Teemer
Finals Peyton Robb

This is one hell of a gauntlet to run through. This should be the last time Meyer ever has to be concerned with having a shitty seed I am sure. How about that first match though? Potential for some fireworks.

While on the topic of Shapiro, I do have a question..maybe one of you may know. Does anyone have a clue what approx weight he walks around at? Reason I ask is because I recently watched an interview on youtube Shapiro did with “Beckely Wrestling.”. He said in the interview these exact words as I am copying and pasting from the transcript..

“ we're going to go 157 this yea, you know I really never really like cutting weight. This past summer in Freestyle, I was pretty under weight for all the events. I was actually weighting in at 149 at the open which was kind of funny. They were like, ‘you gotta eat!’ My mom got emailed and they were like ‘hey is this the right weight like your son? He weighed in really light.’
Even at Junior Worlds I was like a kilo under I think on the second day, but no doubt yeah, definitely um trying.”

So I thought it was kind of shocking to hear he was walking around at 149lbs at the open (April 30th, 2023). Then I thought, well that was 7 months ago. Can pack on a lot of weight in that time. Then to hear he was a kilo ( approx 2 1/4 lbs ) under 70kg (154 lbs) = which means he was slightly less than 152..and this being a micb later date at junior worlds (August 20th) so only 3 months ago… that kind of shocked me too. I just wonder in these last 3 months if he was able to put on any weight or if he was still walking around at 152 cause it kind of seems strange to go 157 then.

So yeah guess my question is does anyone know if
1) he certified at 149
2) if he has does it not matter and the coaches along with himself are sticking to 157 regardless?
3) Was he able to put on some weight.
I mean one would think that you need to at the very least not be under the weight class you are wrestling at your “walk around weight.”
Quite often, college wrestlers tend to be lighter at the end of the season cause of the brutal training that goes on thogout the season.
So if that was the case where he was still around 152 and by end of year his walk around was 149 do you think he would still stick to 157?

Initially I had thought 157 was not as difficult at 149. Then I really looked at each weight as far as both the depths and top tier of each weight class and no way. I think 157 is clearly more difficult with Haines, Franek, Robb, Teemer, Andonian, Lewan, Ed Scott, Mauller…even young guys like Chittum and Blaze and middle pack guys like Blockhus, Braxton Lee.
In no way is this some kind of non vote of confidence for Shapiro. I think that he has the potential to win this weight class for sure. Again, just was somewhat concerned about the weight but one thing is for sure.. a hell of a lot of questions will be answered this weekend and I look forward to seeing this guy whoop some
ass!
SlapTheMat

Post by SlapTheMat »

Do you guys know if they are going to be posting brackets the morning of the tourney or the night before? Do they generally wait until everyone’s made weight and all that jazz to do so?
klehner

Post by klehner »

Bigkevsuhr wrote: 29 Nov 2023, 00:58 Do you guys know if they are going to be posting brackets the morning of the tourney or the night before? Do they generally wait until everyone’s made weight and all that jazz to do so?
The latter. Gotta see who is in and who is out before the brackets are finalized.
SlapTheMat

Post by SlapTheMat »

Flo wrestling predictions for CKLV. Doesn’t mean 💩 but just always like seeing what they think prior and how far off they are

125 Ungar preseeded 3rd
Flo predicts 2nd

141 Cornella preseeded 7th
Flo predicts outside top 4
however best shot of winning between second tier of guys which includes Cael Happel, Northern Iowa- Kal Miller, Maryland
Vince Cornella, Cornell- Josh Koderhandt, Navy, Echemendia Ohio St.

157 Shapiro preseeded 14th (joke)
Flo predicts him to win it . Hell of a path it would take for him to do so. Don’t underestimate his ability but surprised they they picked him to beat Andonian, Chittum (i think will beat Cardenas) Teemer and Robb in 4 grueling matches.

165 Ramirez preseeded 4th
Flo predicts 3rd

184 Foca preseeded 3rd
Flo predicts 2nd

197 Cardenas preseeded 3rd
Flo predicts 4th (Smith Maryland 3rd )

285 Fernandes preseeded 14th
Flo predicts 3rd (kind of surprised me as all media tends to just by pass on him not understanding that he was a locked hands call away from AA two years back and was just injured last year)

133, 149, 174 do not have any pre seeded guys for Cornell.

Overall at their predictions, I gotta say I was kind of surprised.
Mainly on them having these guys finishing higher than I would have expected them to say. Ungar 2nd, Shapiro 1st, Fernandes 3rd
I am not saying that that would surprise me…just happy to see the vote of confidence for these guys
I was also surprised they didn’t predict Cornella 4th, and put Cardenas at 3rd instead of 4th

Obviously none of this means jack 💩 but just figured i’d share.

Man oh man, realize I went on and on about it at great length in this thread, but if you think about it, not only does Shapiro have by far the most difficult road to a first place finished then any other wrestler in this tournament regardless of weight class, but you also have to factor in who is wrestling prior to each opponent in comparison to who his opponent is wrestling prior.
If he were to keep winning
Quarters he would have just had to battle with Andonian and wrestle who I think would be Chittum who would have had Carndenas . We all saw what Shapiro did to Cardenas at the junior open (tech fall) Much better to have wrestled Cardenas then Andonian going into second match.
Then if he moves on he will have had to battle with Andonian and Chittum to wrestle Teemer whose matches would most likely have come from Earnest/Trombley.
Then same with the finals as he would have had 3 battles with who I believe will be 3 podium guys this year ( 2 already have been) to go against a Robb or Lewan whose road is not easy but doesn’t compare to that of Shapiro. One thing is for sure . This will be a hell of a tool to see where he is at thus far.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

Fernandes is an enigma. He's a monster on top with a tendency to ride a bit too high and get reversed. He's a small heavy so he can have trouble with the biggest (talented) heavies. He doesn't really have any signature wins since his greyshirt pin of Slavikouski. He also has a history of getting injured. He hasn't stepped up to certify himself as an AA contender despite a fairly unique skill set.

On the other hand, he really almost was an AA! At NCAA's he got revenge wins over Hilger and Traxler and was outperforming Lance in the blood round. I don't even think it was a locked hands call that screwed him. IIRC he was on top and Lance was immobilized but the ref blew the whistle for a restart as if they were in a dangerous position without even a stall call. He was clearly going to ride out and he was trying (if fruitlessly) for a turn. The repositioning allowed Lance to escape and tie the match in regulation.

His loss to Kleuver has me a touch worried so I'm hoping he gets his revenge W in Vegas and takes control of his season back.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

Our starters, their tournament seeds, and their first round matchups:

125: Brett Ungar (3) v Wagner (Binghamton)
133: Ethan Qureshi (U) v Ramos (Citadel) - winner faces Orine (1) in R16
141: Vince Cornella (6) v Vandervere (Northwestern)
149: Ethan Fernandez (U) v Rivera (Campbell) - winner faces Parco (2) in R16
157: Meyer Shapiro (14) v Cangro (Harvard) - winner faces Andonian (3) in R16
165: Julian Ramirez (4) v Bell (Maryland)
174: Benny Baker (U) v Uliano (Appalachian St.) - winner faces DeVos (3) in R16
184: Chris Foca (3) v Rowley (Purdue)
197: Jacob Cardenas (3) v Kendricks (Morgan St.)
285: Lewis Fernandes (10) v Berisha (Sacred Heart) - Fernandes teched him in under 2 minutes a couple of weeks ago

We have no pigtail matches and no ranked opponents in our R32 matchups, though it obviously gets tougher for our unranked guys and Shapiro in R16. Really hoping for a clean sweep in the first round.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 »

I'm seeing the live updates, but I can't get to the brackets. I don't remember ever seeing that before.
klehner

Post by klehner »

jdalu75 wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 12:05 I'm seeing the live updates, but I can't get to the brackets. I don't remember ever seeing that before.
Brackets in Safari on my MacBook;Flo app on my iPad.