2. Michael Beard, Jr. (Lehigh)

HWT
1. Nathan Taylor (Lehigh)
4. Lewis Fernandes, Sr. (Cornell)

* 8. Jasiah Queen, Fr. (Drexel)
SlapTheMat

Re: Rankings 23-24

Post by SlapTheMat »

Funny stuff with Flo! I know rankings are whatever but I will vent about it anyway, why the hell not ?!

Ungar finished runner up at CKLV and moves down a spot. They can’t say that they don’t weight heavy on the CKLV results cause they moved Provo up from 30th to 1st. Couple questions I would ask them
1. At what point do we not rank guys top 5 for not having even wrestled yet (month into season) be the case for Figueroa.
2. How many losses does it take for Ramos to be bounced out of the top five? Again… If you’re gonna weigh heavy on the CKLV results Ramos finish seventh. He has 4 losses to Ungar’s 1 loss. Common opponent at the tourney was Provo. Ungar up 1-0 going into 3rd and down 2-1 cause of riding time we’re 20 seconds left in the match prior to going for broke. meanwhile Ramos was pretty much controlled the entire match losing 8 to 1.
3. if the reason you’re not moving Ramos out of the top five is because of his NCAA tournament last year, then don’t move Chris Folke from 3rd to 14th after two losses.
4. Poulin is a blood rounder just as Ungar is. Poulin has had 4 matches this year against two division, two guys and #You have a fine 86 a #158 ranked. Reward the guy that goes to CKlV and has 4 ranked wins. Unless they’re going 100% by the match these two had over a year ago which was 2-1SV Poulin.
5. What has Camacho done really? He beat Ramos? So did a high school kid . They need to stop making Ramos a measuring stick for being ranked in the top five.

At a weight this wide open I do think it was right to put Provo number one however.

Foca, like I said above your keeping Ramos up there after four losses because of his tournament last year, so don’t plumb it Foco after two. You could say his losses were fairly bad at least one of them, but at the same time they weren’t in high school.

Cardenas hell of a showing and goes down 2 spots only losing to teo guys who were already ranked in front of him. They put Smith from Maryland in front of them which I understand he made the finals and he beat Sloan. But then they put Little above both Smith and Cardenas just piggy backing off of Smith’s CKLV success since Little beat him a month ago. Find that a little obnoxious. How long will he be rewarded for who Smith beats because of his season opener win? Also, if you are putting those guys ahead of Elam cause of CKlV or h2h with a cklv finalist, may as well put Cardenas over Elam too since he hasn’t wrestled anyone this year and last years NCAA doesn’t matter in this particular weight.

I agree with Cornella, Ramirez, Vito didn’t move, Shapiro went up 3 and based on the two loses and only basing it on the outcome alone i get it. Prolly 3 guys still put him ahead of because of the Andonian win but whatever.

Don’t think Fernandes should have slipped. Two guys in front of him haven’t wrestled yet this year and two guys that jumped him didn’t place at CKLV
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 »

In the good ol' days, when there were just Amateur Wrestling News and Intermat, we used to complain that AWN adjusted the rankings too slowly and IM too quickly. Now I agree, things are perplexing. IMO too many of the rankings are based on HS creds and one good win in college. And I've been amused for years about how guys who are injured (and sometimes not even in school) move up in the rankings by not wrestling.

I thought Ungar's rankings were interesting this week. He jumped from 19th to 5th in AWN, 13th to 7th in The Open Mat, and held at 11th on WrestleStat. Flo dropped him from 6th to 7th, probably because he lost to a guy ranked well below him. He may also be suffering from Tuckeritis -- winning frequently by a point doesn't impress people until you do it for a few years.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

jdalu75 wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 11:41 In the good ol' days, when there were just Amateur Wrestling News and Intermat, we used to complain that AWN adjusted the rankings too slowly and IM too quickly. Now I agree, things are perplexing. IMO too many of the rankings are based on HS creds and one good win in college. And I've been amused for years about how guys who are injured (and sometimes not even in school) move up in the rankings by not wrestling.

I thought Ungar's rankings were interesting this week. He jumped from 19th to 5th in AWN, 13th to 7th in The Open Mat, and held at 11th on WrestleStat. Flo dropped him from 6th to 7th, probably because he lost to a guy ranked well below him. He may also be suffering from Tuckeritis -- winning frequently by a point doesn't impress people until you do it for a few years.
Flo makes sense to me, tbh. After Provo blitzed CKLV (taking out Ramos, Ungar, Volk and Terukina), they chose to make him #1 and if that means bumping everyone from 1-6 down a slot, I get it. I'm more surprised Ramos stayed as high as he did after the loss to Smith since Ungar also beat D'Agostino and Kaylor but I assume it's because of Ramos's unofficial win over Noto.
Docger

Post by Docger »

NCAA rankings for dual meets are out with Cornell #3 behind PSU and NCST. Will see how that holds up after next week after duals with Iowa State # 8 and Pitt # 19.
Note how ISU performed in Vegas with only Vito missing from Cornell’s lineup.
Nard Dog

Post by Nard Dog »

Docger wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 09:46 NCAA rankings for dual meets are out with Cornell #3 behind PSU and NCST. Will see how that holds up after next week after duals with Iowa State # 8 and Pitt # 19.
Note how ISU performed in Vegas with only Vito missing from Cornell’s lineup.
Pitt just knocked off Ohio State. Matthews had a key win over Mendez.
klehner

Post by klehner »

And Columbia is taking it to Northern Iowa (21-10 so far).
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

12/11 Rankings

Code: Select all

WIN	Flo	Intermat OpenMat AWN	WS(ELO)	EIWA
125: Ungar 	 3	 6	 5	  6 	  5 	11 	 1	
133: Arujau	 1	 2	 2	  3	  3 	 1 	 2
141: Cornella	13	12	16	 17	 12	26 	 1
149: Fernandez	NR	NR	NR	 NR      NR	49 	 5
157: Shapiro	NR	16	15	 16	 17	 4 	 3
165: Ramirez	 4	 4	 3        3	  3	 3 	 1
174: Baker	NR	NR	NR	 NR	 NR     54 	NR
184: Foca  	 7	13 	 9	  9	  8	 4	 1
197: Cardenas	 6	 8	 7	  7	  9	 6 	 4
285: Fernandes	19	19	19	 19	 19	21 	 
TEAM DUAL:	 5	 3	 3	  6	 xx	 3
TEAM NCAA:	 5	10	 8	  8	 xx	 3

WIN Not much change. Cornella slipped because someone ranked below him had a big win.
Flo Not much change. Small moves based on other guys activity while we were idle. Cornella slid a big but still tied for the highest ranking he gets.
Intermat Tournament rank takes the hit I expected last week. Otherwise, same kind of tinkering.
The Open Mat Same kind of tinkering.
Amateur Wrestling News Ramirez gets the deserved bump and Shapiro makes his debut in the AWN rankings.
Wrestlestat Moderate changes from the bleep bloop analysis here and there. Saunders has a higher ELO rating at 149 and is listed as the starter by WrestleStat. I don't know if it's based on anything but i wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Fernandez after the break.

We have some dual meets in Nashville on 12/18-19 on a network that I'm probably not going to pay to watch. We face Little Rock, Pitt and Iowa State in ascending order of difficulty. The last one will have a great rematch of Ramirez-Carr, which ... man ... I might pay to see... We are also sending some wrestlers to Lehigh for the Sheridan Invitational on December 22 but it isn't currently on our schedule. This would likely include a rematch between Vito Arujau and Ryan Crookham, who upset him in the opening tournament of the season and has taken over (and held) the #1 ranking in most services. Another rematch I'd probably pay to watch.

EIWA wil release December rankings at the end of the month, I believe.
klehner

Post by klehner »

Rokfin is like ten bucks for a month, although there may be a fee just for this event. Not bad for three duals.

Sheridan Invite is on Flo.
SlapTheMat

Post by SlapTheMat »

klehner wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 17:02 Rokfin is like ten bucks for a month, although there may be a fee just for this event. Not bad for three duals.

Sheridan Invite is on Flo.
do you think Lehigh will have their starters there?