Transfers

Docger

Transfers

Post by Docger »

Seems the transfer portal is never a benefit for Cornell. Max out displacing Michael Beard. of PSU. Beard transfers to Lehigh to go against Cardenas in the EIWA. Seems no-one transfers in to Cornell.
mountainred

Re: Transfers

Post by mountainred »

How soon people forget Fredy Stroker.
klehner

Post by klehner »

mountainred wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:26 How soon people forget Fredy Stroker.
What was to remember? Sigh.

There are a number of reasons why it is harder to transfer into Cornell and the Ivy League than, say, into Lehigh.
Docger

Post by Docger »

mountainred wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:26 How soon people forget Fredy Stroker.
I was thinking of Fredy when I wrote the above. But I was talking about quality starters.
BTW, looks like Rob lost a transfer as well.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

Lots of students transfer to Cornell, but primarily into the statutory colleges. CALS, ILR and Human Ecology actually have agreements with the 2-year SUNY schools to facilitate this process. The problem is, other than lacrosse, not a lot of D-I caliber student athletes have an incentive to start at a 2-year SUNY college. [Many NY junior colleges have excellent lacrosse teams].

Because the statutory colleges have a culture that is conducive to transfer, coaches hoping to pick up transfer students need athletes to be a good academic match for those programs. It is easiest to find a match if you are interested in the natural or social sciences. But how many D-I wrestlers are Bio majors? At Cornell, a lot of wrestlers major in Cmmunication or Development Sociology for this reason. A lot of athletes are interested in the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management but being a top-10 ranked business program, admissions is ridiculously competitive -- more so for transfer students.

One of the greatest challenges for Cornell coaches in the recruiting process is that each of the 8 undergraduate colleges has its own admissions standards and graduation requirements. For 35 years I worked with and advised Cornell students who wished to change majors. If you wanted to move within the college to which you were originally accepted, that change usually wasn't difficult. But moving between colleges [the Hotelie who wants to major in Chemistry or the English major who wants access to the Dyson School] can be very difficult. So imagine trying to facilitate the transfer of a student coming from a different university? Even harder.