Vito’s weight class next year

charliemunger

Re: Vito’s weight class next year

Post by charliemunger »

Unger will be a 4-year backup.
tjhart

Post by tjhart »

Perhaps. But I think there may be more to him than you see.
Bigkevsuhr

Post by Bigkevsuhr »

It’s funny was reading an article from NCAA wrestling writer titled 25 most interesting wrestlers in upcoming season (or something like that). Vito was one and she wrote and I quote “ Glory is the only active NCAA wrestler with a win over Vito Arujau. However, Arujau is set to move up to 133 pounds, creating more intrigue around his competition schedule and expectations in 2023. Can he compete with two-time NCAA champion Roman Bravo-Young?”. Does she know something for sure that we don’t lol.
Docger

Post by Docger »

I do not know the sign up rules. Can Vito be signed up for more than one weight class and utilized depending on the situation - at least in duals . For instance, against Princeton can he go down to 125 (provided he makes weight) and seek revenge vs Glory and for other matches go at 133 as well as 133 in the tournaments? I do remember a dual with Missouri some years ago in which the match outcome depended on the hwy bout . It was J'den Cox who came up from a lower weight to wrestle Cornell's heavyweight , won the bout and the match. I expect making a down weight in the short period between duals would be hard.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

Docger wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 14:29 I do not know the sign up rules. Can Vito be signed up for more than one weight class and utilized depending on the situation - at least in duals . For instance, against Princeton can he go down to 125 (provided he makes weight) and seek revenge vs Glory and for other matches go at 133 as well as 133 in the tournaments? I do remember a dual with Missouri some years ago in which the match outcome depended on the hwy bout . It was J'den Cox who came up from a lower weight to wrestle Cornell's heavyweight , won the bout and the match. I expect making a down weight in the short period between duals would be hard.
you can always wrestle up after you certify but if you weigh in above the weight you certified there is a limitation on the number of pounds you can cut per week to get back to the certification weight (for safety and in response to past irresponsible weight cutting practices). i think in that missouri dual Cox weighed in at 197 but wrestled at Heavy regardless (and won by tech. i was listening as i drove and it sounded brutal.)
Docger

Post by Docger »

I think the NCAA rules state a college wrestler can cut no more than 1.5% of body weight per week. Assuming Vito goes at 133 at the limit, he could only lose around 2 lbs/week. A far cry from 125. Of course, hemal want to compete at a weight in between for the lessor opponents and be flexible either way. A lot depends on team points. And in that respect, he is best at 133.
tjhart

Post by tjhart »

charliemunger wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 19:47 Unger will be a 4-year backup.
you may hove to re-think that.
klehner

Post by klehner »

tjhart wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 14:14
charliemunger wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 19:47 Unger will be a 4-year backup.
you may hove to re-think that.
Yeah, that didn't age well.