Way too early

klehner

Re: Way too early

Post by klehner »

Docger wrote: 02 May 2022, 23:52 Vito at 133 may be skirting Spenser Lee at 125. But we now hear that RBY is coming back for a fifth year at 133. No easy ride whatever weight. I do remember that Vito tried 133 a few years ago and lost to teammate Charles Tucker. But Vito has matured since then. Anyway, barring injuries or other factors, I think next year's team will be more balanced and more of a threat than this last year. And Lehigh comes to Ithaca so the Grace Hall curse is not in play. Still looking for another Yianni clone . Elijah has a few more years.
I have never heard of any Cornell wrestler picking their weight class based on avoiding anyone. Vito decided on 125 this year despite the presence of a 3x NCAA champ (Spencer Lee). He's not avoiding RBY now. You can look up their freestyle matches from a number of years ago (spoiler alert: Vito crushed him in two).

Meyer Shapiro will be going at 149 as a true freshman the year after Yianni retires (barring unforeseen injury or weird de-commitment).
MMank
Site Admin

Post by MMank »

Vito has beaten RBY - don't think he has ever lost to him.
Docger

Post by Docger »

Not claiming that the Cornell wrestlers avoid wrestling others. They do what is best for the team. By "skirting" I mean not coming up against but not thru intention. The Vito/RBY matches were in freestyle 3 and 4 years ago. Since then RBY has won two folk style NCAA titles in 2021 and 2022. Vito has yet to reach that goal. Hopefully that will change in 2023.
Shapiro looks very good. If he skips the grey shirt year, there should be a smooth transition. Some feel his frame would support 157. There is still that unreliable HS- college jump. Some transition well. Some not so well.
Corellan

Post by Corellan »

MMank wrote: 03 May 2022, 23:01 Vito has beaten RBY - don't think he has ever lost to him.
I think he has beaten Fix as well and maybe more than once .
Bigkevsuhr

Post by Bigkevsuhr »

Can’t really go by freestyle past results and compare to folkstyle. Totally different beast when it comes to a lot of these guys. As far as Vito vs Fix and Vito vs RBY in the past in freestyle… Vito beat Fix the last time they wrestled in Freestyle at the olympic trial semifinals 6-5. He was up 6-0 with 1:50 seconds left… gave up 5 “sumo” pts. The time that the two wrestled before that was crazy in freestyle. Vito came out like an animal. Hit him with a beautiful 5 point throw . Then he took him down again and found himself up 7-0 about 45 seconds into the match. Then…he got teched. The difference between that match and the most recent match at the trials was his gas tank and maturity as a wrestler. The last time Vito wrestled RBY he beat him in the U23 World team trials finals back on 2018. He tech falled him 15-4 then 10-0. That was aged ago, both wrestlers are much different now and RBY is much more talented at folkstyle then freestyle.

If Spencer is 100% healthy, I would go 133 if I were Vito. Then maynr the following year (his sr year) go back down to 125. I Like his odds beating RBY and Fix more than I do beating a healthy Spencer. I will say this, at that one US Open, he did get teched by Spencer, but he did have two beautiful takedowns against him which nobody else that tourney was even remotely close to. If Spencer is not 💯 though, I would take Vito all day. If Vito wrestles like he did in the EIWA finals he is near unstoppable. In all fairness to Vito, that semifinal match at NCAAs against Glory was some big time bullshit. I mean like he said in the post match interview..”i must not understand wrestling, i have the bottom leg hooked, I have a cross face going, I have his arms bundled up, and just no reversal.”. Instead of being 10-3 Vito, it became 7-4 Glory. That same official destroyed quite a number of matches. Point being…i don’t think Glory ever beats Vito again. Think that one stung and don’t see him falling to him ever again. If he would have one we could have seen a Vito/Suriano final but then again if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle so what can ya do!
Bigkevsuhr

Post by Bigkevsuhr »

Too much coffee for me I apologize 😂
Docger

Post by Docger »

It is no secret that one has to be worried about Julian Ramirez and his numerous head injuries. If it is felt wise to take him out of the rotation at 165, there are a number of fill -in possibilities but none with the credentials of Julian. One wonders about Merola - an ace in HS but very tentative in college. Also the up weight of either Sokol, Gibson or Yapujian, Gorg, McClenahan and the "three Bees" Baker, Barley and Brindlley.
Bigkevsuhr

Post by Bigkevsuhr »

Obviously you want what is best for the young man’s health but as far as being able to substitute anyone in at that weight with equal or near equal caliber, I just don’t know. Guy even with his injuries was literally one second away from being on the podium this year as a freshman.
Corellan

Post by Corellan »

Bigkevsuhr wrote: 16 May 2022, 11:54 Obviously you want what is best for the young man’s health but as far as being able to substitute anyone in at that weight with equal or near equal caliber, I just don’t know. Guy even with his injuries was literally one second away from being on the podium this year as a freshman.
Yes Ramirez is a top guy .
Look at his whole match when he beat #1 Griffith .
He didn't luck in to the win.
He took Griffith down , was aggressive , had that x-factor of character and poise ( hard to explain exacly what I mean
but he carried himself like he was an equal and belonged there ) his body language spoke very loud.