Cornell vs Wisconsin

Guillotine

Re: Cornell vs Wisconsin

Post by Guillotine »

Red Blades wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 22:36 Just a little more perspective I saw about the match last weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/thepindoctors/ ... 622243671/
Yeah, that was excellent.
Guillotine

Post by Guillotine »

Gomez just beat Sasso (10-9, I think) at the all-star match.
Docger

Post by Docger »

No one disputes the character of Yianni. In interviews, he has often said he prefers freestyle and admires the international wrestlers . Perhaps an underestimation of domestic folk stylers is certainly not a character flaw. Let's be clear about that.

Gomez and Sasso had a barn burner. Gomez got the points when he needed to.
charliemunger

Post by charliemunger »

I'm in tears here. Just can't stop crying since Yianni lost.
Bigkevsuhr

Post by Bigkevsuhr »

Gomez is for sure not short of shit talking.

I mean forget his antics towards the Cornell bench and fans after his big win, but the comments in the interviews, wowzer.

By the way, someone in this thread last page quoted the Bader flo interciew quote with Gomez but they kind of mixed it up in that they thought that he was referring to Yianni fading in the second period this year when he was actually talking about the match last season.
One with Mark Bader of Flo speaking of his 12-6 loss 10 months ago to Yianni in the dual.
“Last year my coaches just wanted me to get a feel for him which I did. Then half way through the second period I felt he began to fade. Got to my attacks just didn’t finish.
1- You got to your attacks but just needed to finish….? Said almost all of Yianni’s opponents ever.
2- When he faded mid second period last last season vs you, that was right smack in the middle of him taking you down 5-6x in one match while you failed to get one correct? Must have been fading badly.
3- So the loss can be explained by you and your coaches just wanting you to feel him out?

*Next quote
“watched the world championships with the Iranian, when things started to get hard he just started diving in and taking SLOPPY shots so I knew my reattachs would be there and that’s why i believe I wrestled smart. “.
1- I understand that you have zero respect for Yianni’s 3 ncaa titles and silver medal at worlds, but maybe not let the media and Yianni know that. It would be difficult I imagine to find any other wrestler out there when speaking of a world silver medalist, chosing to say they were “sloppy.”
2- Your reattacks by the way, were there in the 3rd because you had a 5-0 lead going into the 3rd. After the escape making it 5-1, Yianni had about 95 seconds to score 3 takedowns to tie and 4 to win. When you have to press to score a takedown every 30 seconds.well you get what we all saw. Credit for finishing your re attacks but let’s not pretend that the match situation was within 2 points either way when this all happened. It was complete desperation.
3- your re-attacks were there cuase you went into the 3rd period up 5-0 (5-1 with 95 seconds left after the escape). Yianni would have had to have 3 takedowns just to tie (takedown every 30 seconds) and 4 to win. Based on the match flo and common sense, there was no reason to believe Gomez would press the action. Gomez got called for stalling in the first, as a result of his lack of offense. When he was about to get taken down he resorted to the o’le “watch his knee!” for the potential dangerous stoppages The entire match changed on one bad decision by Yianni more than half way through the match when trailing 1-0. He went into Gomez”s break and butter and as I said earlier.. Gomez had nothing to lose and Yianni had to sit on caution.
I give Gomez all the credit in the world for the result.

After the allstar challenge last night… which by the way, I’m not a Sasso fan but I love nothing more than when Sasso got the better of him in the upper body lock…Gomez was interviewed by JD Radar of Flo. When JD was asked if any of the interviews he did after the match had any good soundbites, unshockingly he said, “yeah Gomez.”
He said very little to nothing about his 10-9 come from behind win against Sasso moments ago, but jumped
on the opportunity to tell everyone that “he clearly is the guy who will prevent Yianni from winning #4.”

Now I am beyond bummed about what happened. I was there and had a lump in my throat the remaining 6 matches of the meet. I’m not taking away from Gomez what he did . But I can’t help to think about a few things… Call them being bias or whatever.

1- First match of the year for Yianni not for Gomez.
What happened Gomez”s first match of the year? 9-4 loss to Paniro Johnson, a freshman who then needed over time to defeat a wrestler from Grand View (or wherever the hell he was from) a week later.
Remember Yianni’s first match of the year last year vs Abas ? Far from spectacular, in fact he didn’t even score a takedown. I would say that Yianni didn’t start rolling till his final at CKLV against Sasso. “But Yianni wrestled all summer and recently at worlds!”. Yeah but folkstyle is a much different beast endurance wise than freestyle. Add the pressure of a 75 match win streak to go along with it being the first match of the year….at home….things are knotted up at 0 after first ….against a guy with nothing to lose…. Perfect storm
against him.
Now if Gomez goes for throws and doesn’t get them, well nobody even takes note of the result the next day. He had no pressure. Where were these guys focuses? Gomez, even said in an interview that him and his coaches have been focusing all summer and early season on Yianni. Yianni has not been spending his time gearing up for a guy he nearly majored less than a year ago…Ill tell you what however..between:
—the loss itself
—how he lost
— the after match crowd taunting
— hearing that he faded half way through the match last year
—having his shots referred to as “sloppy”…..
He has his attention now! Again,
I can’t help to think that he will continue to talk it up now cause come March Gomez will need to first, make it to a final he has never been in. If he does get there, Our man Yianni will be there for the 4th time to do the same thing he has done the previous 3x …WIN!
This time around there will be no body lock opportunity which in turn will eliminate a 5 point cushion, which will further eliminate these “sloppy shots,” you refer to them as.
Corellan

Post by Corellan »

A lot being made of this meet .
I thought there were a lot of high points .
Ungar showed he can compete with All-American level guys .
Cornella possibly a top guy in the country .
Vito looks great and aggresive , and smooth at 133 . Energized and motivated .
Yianni is Yianni one of the best of all time despite the result he is working every day and has a rock solid mindset .
Other losses were in toss up matches , obviously you want to win them but not the end of the world .

This is the funnest team I can remember like ever save for maybe around Dake's freshman year .
Maybe in cometition for the most depth of all time for a Cornell team .
That Depth combined with 2 Dominant guys is a great recipe for national level success .
That Depth, a bunch of those guys breaking through and an additional guy making a jump to Yianni
or Vito's level equals a top 2 finish or winning it.

Have to keep in mind also that good coaches understand the long game, development and peaking .
Freesytle wrestling may not lead to a perfect performance at all folkstyle matches , especially early ones
but overall it provides a huge developmental benefit, keeps guys interested , provides novelty etc.

Sometimes development sacrifices short term results for long term results .
And the results were not bad , saw very good things from question mark weights , 125 and 141 .
Level Jumping type performances are the most important thing to see, that potential ,
combined with long term hard work .
This team has it almost across the board .
And not just potential .
Guys breaking through .
tjhart

Post by tjhart »

Agreed
Reddel

Post by Reddel »

charliemunger wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 09:40 I'm in tears here. Just can't stop crying since Yianni lost.

Crawl back into your hole…
Docger

Post by Docger »

Appreciate the post Wisconsin analysis.
No doubt Gomez lacks what is commonly referred to as class. A lot of that is chest beating in order to stoke up self confidence.
However the coach of the team has the most insight and he states that he did not have the team ready .
Let’s just see how things progress down the road . There will be plenty of challenges.
klehner

Post by klehner »

MMank wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 12:01
klehner wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 09:06
MMank wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 08:38

Where did you hear Yapo was the starter? From what I understand, McClenahan is a beast?
Yapoujian is by far the best of the bunch at 157.
And you say this because.....?
Yapoujian just beat Handlovic 7-0 with over 2:00 RT at the Mat Town Open.