Anti-vaxxers at it again

Docger

Re: Anti-vaxxers at it again

Post by Docger »

Corellan wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 19:08
Corellan wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 19:07
NorthCountry wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 17:21 I have held off for a long time as I hate being political on a site that is for wrestling. The comments made have forced me to explain my COVID experience.

First of all to get a background of where I come from in this sense I am a health care worker that works very closely with COVID and my wife is a nurse who works on a specialty COVID unit at our hospital. We have seen how bad COVID can be for our patients. I was very much pro vaccine as this was my job to promote the vaccine and told many people close to me to get vaccinated as there were rare side effects and much benefit.

Two months later after my Moderna vaccine I got rushed to Upstate at Syracuse with a heart attack despite being a very healthy 40 year old. After a week of tests they finally were able to diagnose the cause from myocarditis.
My nurse even told me that there were 3 others on the unit who were my age with the same issue. 5 months later after this I am still having issues with inflammation and have had to have repeat cardiac MRIs and even had to travel to Strong Memorial in Rochester for a special cardiac PET scan. Still no answer...

What I am saying is that it is so easy for you to complain about anti vaxxers because they have concerns about the "rare" side effects, but when it actually happens to you it doesn't seem so rare. For those of you that disagree with me be thankful that you came out of it okay and haven't had to experience my journey.

I am proud of Kyle Dake for sticking for his beliefs and will always support those that have their own opinion
One of the few helpful posts I have read on the subject .
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience .
This is not a cut and dry issue by any means, I wish we had news sources we could trust to convey the benefits of vaccxination
as well as the risks .

Sorry about your experience and wish you the best in recovery .
Data from a large Israeli data base: Among more than 2.5 million vaccinated HCO members who were 16 years of age or older, 54 cases met the criteria for myocarditis. The estimated incidence per 100,000 persons who had received at least one dose of vaccine was 2.13 cases (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.56 to 2.70). The highest incidence of myocarditis (10.69 cases per 100,000 persons; 95% CI, 6.93 to 14.46) was reported in male patients between the ages of 16 and 29 years. A total of 76% of cases of myocarditis were described as mild and 22% as intermediate; 1 case was associated with cardiogenic shock. After a median follow-up of 83 days after the onset of myocarditis, 1 patient had been readmitted to the hospital, and 1 had died of an unknown cause after discharge. Of 14 patients who had left ventricular dysfunction on echocardiography during admission, 10 still had such dysfunction at the time of hospital discharge. Of these patients, 5 underwent subsequent testing that revealed normal heart function.
Here is another link from a data base of 48 large health care organizations which concludes that myocarditis is six times as likely to occur from people infected with covid as it is from those vaccinated. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21260998v1
I am sorry for your experience. Unfortunately anecdotes are not useful when developing policy.
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Thanks, Doc. I just read this Israeli study and thought about posting the conclusion. Riding in a car can kill or maim you, too, but nearly all of us still do it. Benefits outweigh the risks. Covid vaccines have a public health benefit, in addition to a personal one, adding weight to the overall benefit side of the scale. Too many just won't acknowledge that.
Docger

Post by Docger »

To some extent, wrestling while in college is both an individual and a team concept. Of course one strives to be highly ranked and that is mostly individual. But how often to we see the goal is to get points for a team score - both in duals and tournaments. How often does the winning team score depend on either a win or avoidance/achievement of a major, tech or pin - for the sake of the team. Once graduated from college, it becomes a bit murkier for those continuing to wrestle. A team concept comes into play if wrestling for a country. Otherwise it is pretty much individual. In other words, it is easier for a post grad wrestler to be individualistic regarding the acceptance of a covid vaccination. While an undergrad , vaccination may be necessary in order to be enrolled ( in some institutions) or in order to compete (in some tournaments.) There is also the concept of not spreading the virus to others ( it is ten times as likely for the unvaccinated) which is also a team concept. How does this apply to Cornell? Well, Penn State does not mandate vaccination. Encourages yes. Mandates no. Supposedly there is weekly testing. Such an approach both attracts athletes who refuse to vaccinate and transfers who feel the same. Such things as the Ivies following CDC guidelines, Mayo Clinic, etc guidelines also play a role. Some Universities have medical schools . I wonder how influential they are with the undergrad sports programs of their universities.
klehner

Post by klehner »

Penn State mandates vaccination among staff, and supposedly Cael is not vaccinated. The following may be out of date, and/or Cael actually has gotten vaccinated and/or gets a Mormon exemption:
Under the federal contractor vaccine mandate, all employees at all Penn State campuses are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical/disability- or religious-related accommodation. This mandate is currently under an injunction and will not be implemented by Penn State on Jan. 4, however the injunction could be lifted in the near future. In the meantime, the University will continue with the current testing protocols already in place. Faculty and staff who are not fully vaccinated, including those working entirely remotely, will be required to test weekly until the legal process is finalized.
Docger

Post by Docger »

Cannot believe people like Dake , Dean and Garrett had a Cornell education. Without evidence, they claim falsified data. Have they really looked into the molecular biology of how the mRNA works? As far as mandates go: individuals, localities and states cannot win a war. That war can be against other countries or other life forms such as a pandemic virus. Only the federal government can win such a war. And after a year of trying volunteerism, something else is needed.
Docger

Post by Docger »

Docger wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 12:40 Cannot believe people like Dake , Dean and Garrett had a Cornell education. Without evidence, they claim falsified data. Have they really looked into the molecular biology of how the mRNA works? As far as mandates go: individuals, localities and states cannot win a war. That war can be against other countries or other life forms such as a pandemic virus. Only the federal government can win such a war. And after a year of trying volunteerism, something else is needed. It has been shown hat unvaccinated people are 10 times as likely to transmit the virus than those who are vaccinated. Whatever happened to team concept. The more the virus spreads, the greater likelihood of mutant strains that will eventually escape the vaccine. As it is the Omicron is more resistant to the vaccine induced antibodies . Only the T cells are working as backup. With mutant strains, even these may be useless.
Nard Dog

Post by Nard Dog »

It's interesting that you can go to a covid forum and not find a single post about wrestling. Why can't this forum stick to the topic of wrestling rather than constantly being polluted with covid crap? There is nothing new that can be said on the topic. The dead horse has been thoroughly beaten here.

I'm rapidly losing interest in this page due to this.
klehner

Post by klehner »

Nard Dog wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 15:15 It's interesting that you can go to a covid forum and not find a single post about wrestling. Why can't this forum stick to the topic of wrestling rather than constantly being polluted with covid crap? There is nothing new that can be said on the topic. The dead horse has been thoroughly beaten here.

Just curious: why did you open the "Anti-vaxxers at it again" thread?
MMank
Site Admin

Post by MMank »

klehner wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 16:41
Nard Dog wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 15:15 It's interesting that you can go to a covid forum and not find a single post about wrestling. Why can't this forum stick to the topic of wrestling rather than constantly being polluted with covid crap? There is nothing new that can be said on the topic. The dead horse has been thoroughly beaten here.

Just curious: why did you open the "Anti-vaxxers at it again" thread?
Very good point....
Red Blades

Post by Red Blades »

I just watched an interview with Shaun White (snowboarder) on GMA - what a breath of fresh air! He showed such an upbeat, positive attitude. When asked what he thought about all of the Covid requirements imposed for the Beijing Olympics, he replied "I'm just happy they are doing all they can to protect us". He seems to be genuinely appreciative that he has an opportunity to compete, perhaps more so because it could be his last.