Coach Grey update

klehner

Coach Grey update

Post by klehner »

(if you don't get this, you should)

World Championships Report:

Oslo was good to us in many ways. We came away with hardware and an invaluable amount of learning experience. True to Kyle Dake fashion, he looked sharp, dominant, and came away as your 2021 74KG World Champion! I believe this one was a bit personal for Kyle and it felt good to end his year on a high note. Something that may get lost in the result was Kyle’s grit in the finals. He was wrestling a savvy Russian transfer who now wrestles for Slovakia and was down going into the second period. Kyle really had to dig deep and ultimately scored two beautiful takedowns. It was great to see his competitive spirit on full display. I couldn’t be more excited for Kyle and his family; he definitely earned some time off the mat which he will be taking now. I know Megan will be keeping him busy around the house as they prepare for Baby #3! Big congratulations to the Dake Family all around.

Nick competed very well and showed himself he can compete with the best in the world at 125KG. He lost a tough match in the Quarter-Finals to the Iranian who ultimately won the tournament. Fortunately, was pulled back into the tournament when the Iranian made the finals. In Nick’s first wrestle back match he beat a tough Belarusian on the strength of his leg attacks. He was all over his legs and scored several well timed single legs. In the Bronze match he wrestled Taha Akgul from Turkey who was the 2016 Olympic Champion and multiple time world champion. Nick started slow and dug himself into a 6-0 hole. At the beginning of the second period he hit his signature low-level single leg for a takedown and once he realized how easily he could get there, he was all over Akgul’s legs. He scored another takedown late but couldn’t get a turn and lost a tough 6-4 decision. This match really showed Nick what he is capable of and I’m excited to see his progression at Cornell.

Yianni obviously didn’t do as well as he wanted. Although he was disappointed, he gained priceless experience that will ultimately set him up for success in the future. The GREAT thing for Cornell and Yianni is that he always gets significantly better after suffering a loss. Yianni will be studying film from this tournament for a while to ensure he is making every necessary improvement to change the outcome next time. The Armenian provided a challenging style matchup because he is 5’2, difficult to get under, and doesn’t do much. Yianni got to his leg once on a great single leg but his hands got split, which doesn’t happen very often. I think more hand fighting and wrestling from tight space is something that could have helped in that match, and I can assure you it is something we will be working on. He is excited to get back to folkstyle and to get back in the room with the team.

All in all the World Championship was a great experience but I will say, I should have brought my rain boots!!! Please see photos attached.

Cornell Wrestling Update:

It’s great to be back on the Hill with the team! The group had weight certification last Wednesday and we finished our preseason with the 3-mile fitness test on friday. We are on Fall Break now which gives the team an opportunity to recharge the batteries and gear up for the start of official practice on October 15th. Overall, the staff has been impressed with the progression of the squad during preseason. We have been focusing more on skill development the last few months and I’m confident it will show early in the season. Knowing that it’s been a long time since we wrestled folkstyle in competition I really wanted to put an emphasis on mat wrestling. I’m confident in the training plan that the staff developed, and we will be ready for Stanford November 20th. I’ve had a few questions about the Binghamton Open. Please note, we WILL be wrestling there again this year, but it is technically an unattached event so it is not on our official schedule. I also wanted to let everyone know that our wrestlers will be reaching out to thank our generous donors in a few weeks so please be on the lookout for calls from Cornell. You can make your gift now if you haven’t done so already this year!!
https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1717/gi ... =AT22KEME1

Season Tickets:

I have been getting tons of questions about season tickets so I wanted to address this. For the entirety of the season, tickets will go on sale one week before each event. 2019-2020 season tickets holders will receive a link to buy tickets before the general public. Please let me know if you have any questions
charliemunger

Re: Coach Grey update

Post by charliemunger »

Stanford will be incredibly awkward. Poor Mike.
ugarles

Post by ugarles »

charliemunger wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 18:35 Stanford will be incredibly awkward. Poor Mike.
i can't even conceive of what this means. i guess it depends on whether you see it as a homecoming for Koll or the passing of the baton and coronation of Grey.
charliemunger

Post by charliemunger »

It means Koll's shadow is long and it's unfair to Grey to have him on campus so soon after taking the job.
Reddel

Post by Reddel »

Pummeling Koll and Stanford will shrink that long shadow. I’m sure Coach Grey doesn’t think it’s unfair, but views it as an exciting start to a new era.
klehner

Post by klehner »

charliemunger wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 20:19 It means Koll's shadow is long and it's unfair to Grey to have him on campus so soon after taking the job.
Yeah, not. You actually think Grey didn't have any input into this? Maybe he was being unfair to himself?
Shifting gears to a few highlights related to the schedule. MAN do I have a surprise for you!! The first dual of my career as the head coach of Cornell University will be against Stanford at the Friedman Wrestling Center. We are still working on an exact time and date (the head coach over there is a real challenge), but I believe it will be the weekend before Thanksgiving.
charliemunger

Post by charliemunger »

Old king cole is sneaky though. Don't be surprised if a few Cornell guys defect.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 »

I only count 24 on Stanford's roster; that's not many. If we see the roster increase above 30 in the next couple of years, it's an indication that Rob is getting things changed.
Red Blades

Post by Red Blades »

I'm looking to get a "hall pass" to go up and see this one; busy time here, but it should be an event worth seeing!

You going too, Charlie? :P
charliemunger

Post by charliemunger »

Since I am the pulse of the program I should be there.